Oct 7, 2008

Round 2

Allow me to re-introduce myself. I am Dr. Boyd, Dr. B., The Good Dr., and last but most certainly not least, The Notorious Ph.D. And contrary to popular belief, I'm the biggest boss that you've thus far!

In less than an hour, Barack Obama and John McCain will square off in round 2 of a scheduled three round prize fight for the presidency of the United States. Though Obama landed more punches in round 1, McCain used that old Sugar Ray Leonard strategy by engaging in repeated flurries so as to sway the judges by appearing to be the more aggressive fighter. Thus, the judges scored round 1 even.

McCain originally wanted to do multiple town hall meetings and so tonight's format would suggest that he is playing on his own turf. Let's see what he can do.

Will Barack finally show his verbal pugilistic skills? Will he do to John Boy what Ali once did to Ernie Terrell back in the day? Will he tell McCain, "I'm going to kick your ass," like he once told fellow Illinois congressman Ricky Hendon?

The two men became embroiled in a yelling match on the Senate floor that looked as if it might become physical; they were separated by Courtney Nottage, then the chief of staff for Emil Jones. Nottage led Obama off the floor to a room that legislators used to make telephone calls. “It looked like two men that were having a serious disagreement and they had walked up to one another really close,” Nottage told me. “I didn’t think anything good could come of that.” Hendon told me, “He’s the one that got mad, because he said I embarrassed him on the Senate floor. That’s when he came over to my desk.” Before Nottage broke them up, Obama, who had learned to box from his Indonesian stepfather, supposedly told Hendon, “I’m going to kick your ass!”

Punks jump up to get beat down! Indeed.

No comments: