Oct 26, 2009

Tyler Perry, Drug Dealer



Tyler Perry is a drug dealer. That's right, I said it! Dude's been slangin' dope every since he got started. How you think he built that studio? Drug profits, plain and simple. Meet me in the trap, it's goin' down!

Now, let me be clear, before TP and his unruly fans get their hackles up. I'm not saying Tyler is selling narcotics, at least not those of the chemical variety. What I am saying is that the movies he makes are the cultural equivalent of dope, and I don't mean 'dope' in the hip hop sense either. I mean mind numbing, mood altering, life destroying, dope. Bad dope, at that. Shake, swag, stress. Dude's pushin' some straight bullshit. Ain't no blue magic where Tyler is concerned. TP's dope has been cut so many times, that it might not even be fair to call it dope anymore. Maybe we should just call it cut?

There are chemical drugs that alter the mind and and then there are drugs like those ignorant-ass, handkerchief head movies and television programs that TP releases under his banner. Movies and television shows that paint black people as a bunch of overly religious, jive-talkin' clowns, in bad clothes.

Yet, in spite of the demeaning stereotypes and utter disregard for black humanity, TP's dope has some people reluctant to criticize him. Many point to TP's money and success and in turn use this to justify their support of his nefarious enterprise. No one is crazy enough to actually try and defend the garbage that he puts out, so praising his business success allows them to shift the focus away from the amateurish flicks that he makes.

Yes, TP has made a lot of money, and so have a lot of real dope dealers too. Yet when these real dope dealers started making money and rapping about their lives, attempts to silence their voices were non-stop. Cries about gangsta rappers and their lyrics destroying the community have been going on for 20 years now. TP makes an empire by reviving some of the same stereotypes that were once used to justify the subjugation of black people and his fans act like he invented the wheel.

The bottom line is, some people like seeing themselves represented as a bunch of buffoons. They like seeing black men wear dresses and be emasculated before the whole world. They like seeing black women portrayed as sassy, cantankerous Sapphires, who sleep with their fists balled up and who can't wait to 'cuss' somebody out.

Oh that's right, Precious, the film Perry and Oprah have now latched themselves onto, was written by someone named Sapphire. Well, the Sapphire I'm talking about is the one from Amos and Andy; though anything written by someone named Sapphire is something I KNOW I don't need to see. Not to go off on a tangent here, but Lee Daniels, the director of Precious, was the producer of that Klansman's wet dream disguised as a movie called Monster's Ball. TP and Daniels are a match made in pork chop heaven.

Anyway, back to the lecture at hand. TP embraces the fact that he has worked the chitlin' circuit for his riches, like many of the legendary black performers of the past. The difference is that those old school black performers had no choice. It's not like Broadway was beating down their door. The old school performers were forced to exist in segregated conditions. TP chooses to create culture in a fashion reminiscent of the chitlin' circuit. He purposely foregrounds images of black people from times gone by, not to critique these images, but to embrace their lack of dignity.

Tyler Perry is a drug dealer. His work alters people's sense of reality, it distorts their perception, it eats away at their mind. This is your brain on Tyler Perry, or should I say, a mind is a terrible thing to waste.

I don't care how much money he makes. Dude is exploiting his own people. Not only is he subjecting his workers to exploitative conditions, but he is also exploiting his church-lovin' audience, and in turn he is exploiting black culture. I thought there was supposed to be a war on drugs? Well, you missed one!

TP, let me pull your coat. Wipe the grease paint off your face, stop buggin' your eyes, take off the dress, stop scratching when you don't itch, put away the jazz hands, and get your mind right. Oh yeah, save your money too, Dog. That gravy train of yours is running out of gas. I know some of you are saying that he's made too much money to ever be broke again, that he's too big to fail. That's what Antonie Walker thought too. Look at him now.

One day soon people will rise up and say no more, TP. No more jeffin', no more coonin', no more bojanglin'. No mas, baby!

Where is the Drop Squad when you need 'em?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is sooo hard for me.. I just read your blog...but I also read Lee Fuller's (on FB--friend him) words on this matter...I'm torn.

I'ma a TP fan... met him b4 too. I'll re-read yours' & Lee's and check my resolve then.

I love your offerings Dr. B...but I just don't know on this one.

Hugs,

G.Y. Turnbull

gregory said...

Wow! You were always way more eloquent than I! I essentially said the same thing on a facebook post yesterday. Keep on doing the knowledge...

Chandra Kamaria said...

Hey Dr. B! I just wanted you to know that I've been following you for quite some time and enjoy your perspectives on Black culture. I tend to agree with you quite a bit and this post about Tyler Perry is on point, so you're still batting a thousand with me.

I'm not ashamed to criticize Tyler Perry, as a matter of fact, I do it all the time. As a patron of the theater, I started first with his plays; all of that dropping character, unnecessary singing and dancing, mediocre script writing, and interaction with the audience put him in the amateur category for sure. As for his movies, I kept noticing the same things that you have pointed out. He seems to have an undercover agenda, though, of taking some revenge out on his primary audience of Black women by depicting them as flat, one dimensional characters and then making some very gross, inaccurate assumptions about our plight. Just as you've so eloquently pointed out, his plots are always over exaggerated and lack any real substance. I mean, what in the hell is the message that the audience walks away with?

But, you know, the saddest aspect of this thing is the fact that there are others jumping on the bus with him such as the offerings from Bishop TD Jakes (Woman, Thou Art Loosed and Not Easily Broken). He's proven that this minstrel show is indeed lucrative and many more want to cash in. It's scary because one day, somebody is gonna see fit to herald this mess as some of the best of Black culture. That should just make you shudder, Dr. B.

Of course, the only thing I can give him credit for is his marketing zeal....cause he's definitely got that down pat. At the same time, I also credit Nickie Barnes and Freeway Rick Ross for their savvy business tactics. So, I'm with ya; Tyler Perry is pushing dope. Thanks for giving me a definitive statement rather than that rant of mine.

Oh, This post is SO going on my FB page. Keep doing you, Dr. B!

Connie said...

I have to say that I have never seen one of his films. When seeing the preview TV ads, it always seemed as if it would be a movie that would insult my intelligence.
Connie in Las Vegas

J.H- The Self Proclaimed Hip-Hop Scholar said...

You are a 100% correct Good SIR. The guys a sellout and while BARACK OBAMA allowed the BLK community/Culture to take one step foward, T.P keeps taking us backward with his degrating/effiminate comedic stylings. I think young educated people should boycott his B.S movies/shows. Thank you for speaking the truth-1

Martha said...

I always thought that was true about his films when he first started and evereyone so crazed about his films! Nice to know I am not the sole voice crying out in the wilderness! I always felt it was stupid, embarassing comedy!

Anonymous said...

For a Ph.D. you are not very smart at all. Tyler Perry was bless by the Lord and you can't stand it. Drug dealer HAH! He has taken his gifts and helped others. What have you done for others besides bring them down when they get a little successful? "Nothing!" I thought so. I will THANK YOU KINDLY TO KEEP YOU RUMORS AND OPINIONS TO YOURSELF!

Anonymous said...

A friend directed me here to read the post and I am overjoyed to see that there are people who feel the same way I do about Mr.Perry and his movies. However, I do take issue with the quick dismissal of the book Push based on the author's name. While the book may not be a work of fiction that challenges the work of Dr.Angelou, this book is an insightful look into the sexual, physical and emotional abuse many, Black girls experience.
To butcher a phrase..."Never judge a book by it's author."

Anonymous said...

hahahahhahaha this is so DUMB

Amara said...

WHAT WHAT WHAT AGAIN? Another successful blackman is a drug dealer..huh? Ok I have to make some research and my own analyses. I have never taken notice, but showly will do. I know some of his movies are kind'a not so great about the way he potray black people, especially the women, maybe I was thinking that it sells out and the dude is just after what sells. Reality or not reality! Isn't that's what hollywood movies are all about?

Anonymous said...

i agree with your post. tyler perry = poison.

what are your thoughts on lee daniels's 'precious'???

Alexander said...

real talk! Itz happening again....

Anonymous said...

get your life!

JustAskGigi said...

Point well taken.

www.thisblackwomansopinion.wordpress.com/Teach them to fish

Anonymous said...

I would be feeling great ad Tyler Perry new movies links.
Tyler Perry Movies and Tv Shows
Tyler Perry Plays